Indonesia is one of the Asian countries where Internet freedom has slightly improved in the course of the past several years. Now you can see fewer authorities’ attacks on citizens for their online activities. Nevertheless, censorship is still going strong.
The local government has a web-crawling system called Cyber Drone 9 designed to look for content violations. This system makes it easy to block all unwanted content.
But governmental intrusion is not the sole reason for installing a reliable Indonesian VPN in advance.
Here is the list of our top picks for VPNs to use while in Indonesia:
Why use VPN in Indonesia?
Here are the main reasons to use VPN service in Indonesia:
- Along with internet service providers, the local government blocks thousands of images, shaws, and websites that would have been considered perfectly normal in other countries. Those include multiple movies on streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. So you need to use an Indonesian VPN to unblock those.
- If you want to continue using your favorite messengers, many of those are prohibited as well.
- If you want to stay out of governmental surveillance. There is a total of ten laws and some other regulations that allow law enforcement to conduct surveillance. Everybody has to register their cell numbers with the government, and telecom companies have to comply with requests from the government.
Is VPN legal in Indonesia?
Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world in terms of population, and around 40% of it uses an Indonesian VPN on a daily basis. That’s very high use, and it happens because of all of the governmental involvement mentioned above. No law prohibits VPN usage in Indonesia, so you have nothing to be concerned about.
Pros and cons of using free VPNs in Indonesia
Generally speaking, VPN is a VPN, regardless you pay for it or not. But when going for a free VPN option, you need to answer a simple question.
- To run servers and provide you VPN services, a company needs resources. The question is, how do they support all of that without you paying a dime? One honest way to earn some money is ads, a lot of them. While using a free VPN service for Indonesia, you will see ads all over the place. Sometimes they put so many of them that it becomes nearly impossible to browse the Internet.
- But ads it’s not the worst that can happen. Unfortunately, many VPN providers were spotted selling their users’ data, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a VPN.
- But again, if your purpose is just to access some geographically restricted content – you should be good with a free Indonesian VPN. You need to understand that the free VPN providers’ servers are often overloaded with users’ requests, so if you plan on streaming YouTube or watching your favorite show on Netflix – it might terribly slow or doesn’t work at all.
- Another similar issue is connectivity speed. The best way to explain it is a real queue. You need to wait for your turn in order to get connected to a VPN server. If thousands of users are trying to connect at the same time to the same server – it can take some time.
- Finally, with a free VPN, you have a limited amount of IP addresses that you can connect through, and if websites notice suspicious activity, they can potentially block those. So there is a big chance that the websites you’re trying to reach, won’t be acceptable for you even while you’re using a VPN service.
As you can see, a free VPN might do if you need to occasionally check your mail or reach a blocked website once in a while. For anything beyond that – get back to our list of the best VPNs for Indonesia and pick one. Another perk you get from using a high-quality VPN is that it is a transparent business model, and you have a clear relationship with a provider. All terms and conditions are spelled out, and you know how they will behave, and it is pretty what you can or cannot do.